Archbishop Welby delighted by news of royal engagement

0 16

NEWS of the engagement of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle has been welcomed by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Clarence House announced on Monday morning that the Prince and Ms Markle “became engaged in London earlier this month”, and that the Queen and other close members of the Royal Family had been informed. “The wedding will take place in Spring 2018. Further details will be announced in due course,” a statement said.

Archbishop Welby said on Monday: “I am absolutely delighted to hear the news that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are now engaged.

“I have met Prince Harry on a number of occasions and have always been struck by his commitment and passion for his charities, and his immense love for his family.

“Marriage is a special and joyous commitment, one that Jesus celebrated together with friends at the wedding in Cana. I am so happy that Prince Harry and Ms Markle have chosen to make their vows before God.

“I wish them many years of love, happiness and fulfilment and ask that God blesses them throughout their married life together.”

The couple met through mutual friends in London in July of last year. Ms Markle, who is divorced, is an American actress.

Buckingham Palace said that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were “ delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness”.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said in a statement: “We are very excited for Harry and Meghan. It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together.”

The Archbishop of York, Dr Sentamu, tweeted on Monday afternoon: “Prince Harry & Ms.Meghan Markle FANTABULOUS news of your engagement & Royal wedding. Many congratulations. Love & Prayers.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.